Saturday, September 14, 2013

Москве в вечере





Today I was going to head to Gorky Park, but the weather is rotten and my cold has flared up with a vengeance. Since I have a busy week ahead (starting with a 6:30 AM wake up tomorrow – blech), I elected to have an “inside day”. Apart from a brief supermarket trip, I’ve just been hanging out and relaxing at home. Currently I’m curled up with some delicious crème brulee ice cream, catching up on last year’s Oscar nominees. Note: The Sessions is absolutely excellent, particularly the performances of John Hawkes, Helen Hunt and William H. Macy.

Last night I met up with a friend of a friend, originally from Montreal and now living in Moscow, who took me to an awesome little underground music bar in Kitay-Gorod. Russia is, I think, a much more culturally-focused society than in North America. The arts are truly alive here. In three weeks, I’ve seen more people reading classics on the Metro than I have seen reading at all in four years of Toronto and Vancouver transit. This friend tells me that there is a thriving poetry and music scene in and around the Moscow nightlife. I’ll have to check it out as the year goes on. It was good to hang out with someone who sort of understood, who knew Moscow from an expat’s point of view, and who could tell me what to see and do in Russia. He let me know that I had the power to choose my own path, and that there is a lot out there to experience. And it was some pretty good music, too.


I’m starting to build confidence. Teaching is not by any means easy, but there is a certain knack to it, and I think I’m catching on. A couple of days off really helped. If I could just ditch this cold, get my wi-fi and catch up with the world, life would be close to perfect. I’m run-down and busy, but I’m enjoying myself, and that’s what counts. 

Maybe this will turn out to be an adventure after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment