Sunday, October 27, 2013

Музей Пушкина






So this weekend I wound up at the other Pushkin museum. The one with the paintings, not the scrawled papers and old copies of Voltaire. It was pretty neat. I didn't take any pictures of the inside because that would be gauche, but here are a bunch of photos from the Kropotkinskaya area.

What can I say? It was gorgeous. Cézannes, Picassos, Goyas, Kandinskys, even a Diego Rivera thrown in. My little avant-garde leaning heart fluttered. There are enough Rodin sculptures to fill a warehouse. I was particularly taken by his busts of Mahler and Hugo - "Yeah, just throw in some art about my buddies, it's all cool." (In my mind, the past is exactly like Midnight in Paris.)  Hell, I'm even getting used to Russian museum etiquette.





The next night was karaoke in Chertanovskaya with some teachers, then back to work. And this, my friends, is the reason why I haven't been updating lately. Between a gruelling schedule and assorted bureaucratic crazy (everyone who has ever lived in Russia is nodding their head vigorously at the moment), I have been a) too busy to do anything interesting and b) too drained to blog about what little I have been doing. I think there's an enormous pressure to SEE and DO while abroad, and you forget that you have to live a normal life at the same time. You still pay your bills, you still take the garbage out. A lot of people I talk to have no earthly idea why I'm not heading off to St Petersburg or Ukraine or Scandinavia every weekend. Expat life is essentially like regular life, just mixing the settings around a bit. And even if I'm in Russia, yeah, I have to take the occasional day to just be me.



However, we did get a sunny day on Friday, so at least the pictures turned out well.





No comments:

Post a Comment