Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Весна




The sun is out and things are looking up. Time for another "random thoughts" post! There hasn't been much happening here lately, so I'll give a few notes about life in Moscow, ESL, and the State of the Blogger in general.

  • Eggs in Russia are an entirely different matter than in Canada. Before buying, you have to open the packet and carefully check for cracks. Often, they're covered in feathers and bird crap. They're fertilized more often than not. Also, they come in cartons of ten instead of twelve. Monsters.
  • I'm seriously thinking of starting a Twitter account called "Sh!t my students say". There are simply too many funny stories to share every week. From accidentally calling Eminem a "raper" to declaring that they will use a hypothetical fortune to sell poor children iPhones, my classes come up with ridiculous quips every day. Of course, my school would not be pleased if I did, so there's that...
  • Sometimes you run into really unusual "lost in translation" issues. I gave an exam the other day and unthinkingly wrote on the board "Listening Section @ 17:30". Cue ten confused faces staring at me. Turns out that in Russian, @ does not correspond to "at", as it does in English. It seems perfectly obvious now, but is just one of those things you don't think of. 
  • I'm starting to get really, really tired and burnt out, and am eagerly awaiting the May holiday (seven more weeks!). My friends and I plan to go to Krakow, Poland and hang out for a few days. I cannot wait. I need a vacation so desperately. Thank goodness for Soviet-era Labor Day. 
  • Spring has finally sprung in Moscow. Temperatures hover at around 5-ish, the sun is out until 7:30 PM, and everyone is instantly in a better mood. However, I think that several of my students are going to pull a Ferris Bueller if we don't watch out. 
  • My aforementioned friends have also asked me to come with them to the Bolshoi! We're seeing La Bayadere in May. I'm really excited for this, despite the steep ticket prices. It really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
  • I still have the following wish list. Fulfilling it is less a matter of opportunity than of overcoming my own laziness:
    • St. Petersburg
    • Going to Ismailovsky Market
    • Yasnaya Polyana (Tolstoy's estate, near Tula - this is the big one)
As the end of my time in Russia approaches, I'm starting to get a little worried about the future. What comes next? More teaching? Travel somewhere else? Grad school? Flipping burgers? However, I'm choosing to focus on the next few months - and doing them right - rather than thinking years down the line. I'm here to see the world. And see it I shall. 

1 comment:

  1. really enjoy your blog! lucy :)

    ReplyDelete